The Copenhagen Opera House is a donation from the A.P. Møller and Chastine McKinney Møller Foundation to the Danish people. It totals 41,000 square metres. Five of the fourteen storeys are subterranean. The main stage of the opera seats an audience of 1400.
The Opera House is clad with southern German Jura Gelb limestone, and the foyer features Sicilian Perlatino marble. The wall of the auditorium facing the foyer is clad with maple wood, and the ceiling in the main auditorium is adorned with 105,000 sheets of 24 carat gold leaf, equivalent to 1.5 kilos of gold.
The Copenhagen Opera House is designed by Danish architect Henning Larsen, and a number of Danish artists have contributed to the decor, among them Per Kirkeby who has created four bronze reliefs, and Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson who has contributed the three light sculptures for the foyer.
The Royal Danish Opera is Scandinavia’s leading opera company with a long tradition and history. In 2005, the Royal Danish Opera inaugurated its new waterside Opera House in Copenhagen, which has given the company a fitting new venue in which to develop its great artistic potential. The Royal Danish Opera is one of the few opera companies in the world to have a soloist ensemble, one recognised for its very high artistic level. The ensemble soloists are also much in demand at other opera houses throughout the world. The Royal Danish Opera Chorus is celebrated as one of the world’s best, and the Royal Danish Orchestra is known far and wide for being an exceptionally accomplished and dedicated orchestra.
The Royal Danish Opera distinguishes itself within the German late Romantic repertoire. The company features internationally renowned Wagner singers and stages critically acclaimed productions of Wagner’s operas.